Valerian, a flowering plant native to Europe and Asia, has been valued for its mild sedative properties since ancient times. Hippocrates was among those who described its therapeutic uses, and it was prescribed for insomnia as early as the 2nd century.
It’s thought that insomnia impacts your brain and nervous system, and may increase the amount of gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA), a neurotransmitter known for its inhibitory effect on nerves, essentially helping them to calm down.
Some anxiety medications and hypnotics like Ambien and Lunesta actually work by increasing GABA activity. Valerian may have a similar, though somewhat weaker, effect.
In fact, Germany’s Commission E (the country’s regulatory agency for herbs) has approved valerian as a mild sedative.
Valerian is a Popular Alternative to Sleeping Pills and Can Improve Your Sleep Easily
Sleeping pills are notorious for their side effects and addictive potential, which is why many people prefer Valerian as an alternative. Research suggests the herb is useful for various sleep disorders, helping people to both fall asleep faster and have a better sleep quality.
- A combination of Valerian and hops was found to reduce sleep latency (the time it takes you to fall asleep) significantly compared to a placebo.
- Valerian extract worked as well as the drug oxazepam (a drug in the same category as Valium and Xanax) in treating insomnia for six weeks.
- In those taking a valerian preparation, 44 percent reported perfect sleep and 89 percent reported improved sleep — no side effects were reported.
- Valerian relieved both stress and insomnia in people who took it for six weeks.
- A meta-analysis of 16 studies found that Valerian might improve sleep quality without producing side effects.
Further, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center:
“One of the best designed studies found that valerian was no more effective than placebo for 14 days, but by 28 days valerian greatly improved sleep for those who were taking it.
Some researchers now think you may need to take valerian for a few weeks before it begins to work. However, in another study, valerian was more effective than placebo almost immediately.
Other studies show that valerian reduces the time it takes to fall asleep and improves the quality of sleep itself. Unlike many prescription sleeping pills, valerian may have fewer side effects, such as morning drowsiness.”
In short, there’s a reason why people have been using Valerian to help them settle their nerves and sleep well since the beginnings of time … it works!
Valerian’s Other Uses (Anti-Anxiety and Much More)
While most widely known for its role in sleep support, Valerian also shows promise for anxiety relief. One study found no significant differences between Valerian and diazepam (Valium), and it’s been found that Valerian’s anti-anxiety action is due to its action on GABA receptors.
It’s even been found to improve the symptoms of restless leg syndrome, including decreasing daytime sleepiness.
In fact, in addition to its sedative properties, Valerian also has the following characteristics:
Watch this Video HERE on how to improve your sleep easily with valerian root.
Valerian is One of the 10 Ingredients in Sleepzyme that you can use to Improve Your Sleep Easily
If you’re having trouble sleeping, we probably don’t need to tell you that it’s important to address the problem, fast. This isn’t only a matter of having energy, either.
Lack of sleep is linked to serious diseases like diabetes, cancer, heart disease, depression, immune system trouble and even weight gain and obesity.
This means that if you’re not getting enough sleep, you’re at an increased risk of acute illnesses like colds and flu and potentially deadly chronic diseases.
First, make sure that an external issue — like pets in your bed or medications you’re taking — aren’t responsible for disturbing your sleep.
If that’s not the problem, you might consider a Valerian supplement, considering it’s been used as a natural (and safe) tranquilizer for centuries. But why stop there?
Sleepzyme contains 150 milligrams (mg) of Valerian plus nine other proven, all-natural sleep aids. This includes:
- Magnesium citrateto boost and activate your ‘sleep hormone’ (melatonin)
- GABA, which improves your most vital state of sleep (the delta phase)
- 5-HTTPto help your body make serotonin and melatonin
- Inositol, which helps you stay asleep longer and have fewer bad dreams
- L-Theanine, which helps you relax and fall asleep with ease
- Lemon balm leafto reduce anxiety and improve sleep
- Hops flower, which contains a naturally occurring sedative
- Passion flower, which is also recognized as an herbal sedative
- Melatoninto help regulate your sleep cycle (i.e. your circadian rhythm)
It also contains a special blend of enzymes uniquely formulated to improve the effectiveness of the botanical ingredients. If you’re serious about getting proper sleep, there’s no better solution on the market.
Sleepzyme is mother-nature-approved. It’s all natural, non-addictive and has no negative side effects. Just take 3 capsules approximately one hour before bed each night with an 8 oz. glass of water.
You should experience noticeable improvements in your sleep quality starting the very first night! The sooner you get your first bottle, the sooner you can rest easy.
By Jesse Cannone – Creator of the International Best-Selling Back Pain Treatment Program “Lose the Back Pain System” and Best-Selling Book “The 7 Day Back Pain Cure”
Unlike most treatments which only deliver temporary relief, if any at all, muscle balance therapy delivers lasting relief to 8 out of 10 people who use it because it addresses the underlying cause of the pain, not just the symptoms.
If you are suffering from any type of back pain, neck pain or sciatica, I urge you to learn more about this breakthrough new treatment. Click HERE to learn more